Automotive News   |   Automotive News Europe   |   Autoweek   |   Automobilwoche

Automotive News China Newsletter
Register our free newsletter, sent each Monday and Thursday

     Automakers   Suppliers   Auto Show   Comment   Car Cutaway   Newsletters   Press Releases   Register for Newsletter
  Contact Us:   Editorial   Advertising   Subscription Information   |   About Us   Media Kit
Home Email this story   Print this story
 
VW forms joint venture with ride-hailing giant Didi
Automotive News China | 2019/2/26

Volkswagen Group established a joint venture with China¡¯s largest ride-hailing operator, Didi Chuxing, to develop technologies for ride-hailing fleets.

The 64 million-yuan ($9.6 million) partnership was incorporated in Shanghai¡¯s suburban Jiading district in December. 

The new company is 60 percent owned by Didi, with the remaining 40 percent held by VW¡¯s China investment subsidiary, according to Beijing-based National Enterprise Credit Information Publicity System, which tracks the credit status of China businesses.

Additional details about the new venture were not released.

VW is the only global automaker that has partnered with Didi to gain access to China¡¯s market for ride-hailing services. 

In January, Beijing Electric Vehicle Co., a unit of state-owned Chinese automaker BAIC Motor Group, also established a joint venture with Didi to develop customized electric vehicles and connected car systems for Didi¡¯s ride-hailing fleet. 

VW has long been the largest auto manufacturer in China. In 2018, the German auto giant delivered 4.21 million vehicles under multiple brands. 

Didi is headquartered in Beijing. In addition to cities across China, it has also launched ride-hailing services in select cities in Australia, Brazil, Mexico and Japan. 

Related Stories
  • VW Group sales continue to decline on weak VW, Skoda results
  •     --Published:2019/16/4
     
  • VW plans Tesla-fighting electric crossover
  •     --Published:2019/16/4
     
  • VW: China to become global software development hub for AV tech
  •     --Published:2019/16/4
     
  • VW eyes buying big stake in China partner JAC, report says
  •     --Published:2019/12/4
     
  • Why VW may become 2nd foreign automaker to gain control of China JV
  •     --Published:2019/12/4
     
  • VW signs up Chinese lithium supplier
  •     --Published:2019/9/4
     
  • BAIC to supply 20,000 customized EVs for Didi fleet
  •     --Published:2019/2/4
     
  • Europe's automakers scramble to protect profits in China
  •     --Published:2019/2/4
     
  • VW brand to launch 3 electric cars in mid-2019
  •     --Published:2019/29/3
     
  • VW unveils first 3 models under entry-level Jetta subbrand
  •     --Published:2019/26/3
     
  • For global automakers, the urgent but delicate need to take control of China JVs
  •     --Published:2019/22/3
     
  • VW CEO draws SAIC complaint over remarks about raising stake in joint ventures
  •     --Published:2019/19/3
     
  • VW Group sales fall in Feb. behind weak Skoda, VW brand results
  •     --Published:2019/19/3
     
  • Didi forms self-driving vehicle subsidiary in Shanghai
  •     --Published:2019/5/3
     
     

    Our Newsletter Editions
    Automotive News China produces two email newsletters each week. You can sort your news by the articles highlighted in each of our newsletters here.

    Select your newsletter     

     
     

    Automotive News China
    Room 1303, Building 2, Lane 99, South Hongcao Road,
    Shanghai 200233
    Telephone: 86-139-1851-5816
    Fax: 86-21-6495-0895
     
    Home | Help Center | About Us | Privacy Policy | RSS
    Entire contents © Crain Communications, Inc.
    Use of editorial content without permission is strictly prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
    »¦ICP±¸06057291ºÅ