Automotive News   |   Automotive News Europe   |   Autoweek   |   Automobilwoche

Automotive News China Newsletter
Register our free newsletter, sent each Monday and Thursday

     Automakers   Suppliers   Auto Show   Comment   Car Cutaway   Newsletters   Press Releases   Register for Newsletter
  Contact Us:   Editorial   Advertising   Subscription Information   |   About Us   Media Kit
Home >> Automaker Email this story   Print this story
The Ford Focus Active -- a crossover-inspired variant that features a higher ride height, different bumpers and plastic protective strips -- was set to arrive in 2019.
 
Ford scraps plan to export Focus Active amid U.S.-China trade war
Michael Martinez | 2018/9/4

DETROIT Ford Motor Co. is canceling plans to import a wagon version of the Focus to the U.S. from China because tariffs enacted by the Trump administration would cut into profits too much.

The automaker won't reconsider its decision even if the tariffs are eventually dropped, a spokesman said.

Ford had planned to bring the Focus Active to the U.S. in the second half of 2019 after discontinuing the sedan variant here. It had expected to sell fewer than 50,000 units a year.

"The impact to our future sales is expected to be marginal," Kumar Galhotra, Ford's president of North America, told reporters on a conference call. "Our viewpoint is that, given the tariffs, our costs would be substantially higher. Our resources could be better deployed at this stage."

The decision will mean the end of the venerable Focus nameplate in the U.S.

Galhotra said the automaker did not see "significant risk" for its other two imports from outside North America: the EcoSport crossover from India and the Transit Connect van from Spain.

The automaker is in the midst of a global restructuring expected to cost $11 billion over the next three to five years. It's revamping its North American vehicle lineup by eliminating all sedans in the coming years as it works to achieve 10 percent profit margins in the region.

Ford said it would bring the Focus Active to the U.S. in April, when it announced the cuts to its sedan lineup and said it would be one of only two cars to remain at North American dealerships, along with the Mustang. The Focus Active already is sold in Europe, and Ford said it would continue with plans to build it in China for that market as well.

Automakers have urged the Trump administration not to impose tariffs on vehicles built in China.

General Motors recently asked for an exemption on its China-made Buick Envision, which is currently under review. If it doesn't receive that exemption, executives have warned that GM could drop that vehicle from its U.S. lineup.
Ford said an exemption would not have applied to the Focus Active because of its production timing and thus did not seek one.

The Trump administration has so far slapped 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods. Bloomberg reported that the administration is considering a plan to impose duties ranging from 10 to 25 percent on $200 billion in Chinese imports as soon as a public-comment period concludes next week.

Related Stories
  • Ford sees profit return in China with local vehicle output
  •     --Published:2019/17/5
     
  • Dongfeng-Nissan exec hired to lead Ford brand's sales in Greater China
  •     --Published:2019/10/5
     
  • Changan suffers 1st-quarter losses on weak Ford, Mazda sales
  •     --Published:2019/26/4
     
  • Ford reboots in China, with deeper intel
  •     --Published:2019/23/4
     
  • Ford appoints industry veteran Yang Song as China sales chief
  •     --Published:2019/9/4
     
  • Ford to launch more than 30 new models in China over next 3 years
  •     --Published:2019/5/4
     
  • Brazil's CAOA, a Chery partner, signs agreement with Ford over plant purchase, report says
  •     --Published:2019/2/4
     
  • Great Wall, Ford target growing Chinese demand for pickups
  •     --Published:2019/29/3
     
  • Dealership stockpiles spike; Changan Ford stores carry 95-day supply
  •     --Published:2019/19/3
     
  • Ford, Changan slump drags into 2019
  •     --Published:2019/15/3
     
  • Ford joint ventures extend sales slump
  •     --Published:2019/5/3
     
  • Ford JV cuts contract jobs as sales fall
  •     --Published:2019/1/3
     
  • Changan, Jiangling warn of big losses behind weak Ford sales
  •     --Published:2019/1/2
     
  • Ford launches Territory crossover customized for China
  •     --Published:2019/25/1
     
     

    Our Newsletter Editions
    Automotive News China produces two email newsletters each week. You can sort your news by the articles highlighted in each of our newsletters here.

    Select your newsletter     

     
     

    Automotive News China
    Room 1303, Building 2, Lane 99, South Hongcao Road,
    Shanghai 200233
    Telephone: 86-139-1851-5816
    Fax: 86-21-6495-0895
     
    Home | Help Center | About Us | Privacy Policy | RSS
    Entire contents © Crain Communications, Inc.
    Use of editorial content without permission is strictly prohibited. All Rights Reserved.
    ICP06057291